Sunday, November 7, 2010

This is why we can't have nice things.

When I first saw this commercial, I squealed the entire time:



I really, really love Dachshunds. Trouble, my family's dog of more than 15 years, was a miniature Dachshund. He was there for my last day of elementary school, for my senior prom, for my college graduation and even for my wedding day. I'm assuming this is why I make an idiot of myself when I see a Dachshund in public. Apparently, this is genetic: My mother took a picture of herself with someone else's Dachshund at a beach in Mexico. (If I had this photo, I would post it. It is amazing.)

And soon after I got married, my husband and I adopted two Dachshund mixes of our own from the Kentucky Dachshund Rescue.

This is Bella। Bella occasionally gets so excited she wets herself. The sight of family, friends and my brother-in-law in particular will cause her to wet the floor (or the couch or your lap) out of happiness. It is both gross and adorable.


And this is Tonks. She doesn't wet herself when company comes, but we still love her.




But as much as I love dogs, and these two dogs in particular, I never understood buying them toys. My dad used to give Trouble his empty pop bottles when he got home from work, and that seemed to make him just as happy as any $5 plastic cheeseburger -- if not more so. Dogs are only as spoiled as you make them, and I think we've done a pretty good job at loving them without destroying them.

Except for today. Today, I met my downfall. They spent hours snuggled with us on the couch, which is something they've rarely been lazy enough to do since we got them in April. It was absolutely wonderful and they were really, really adorable. Proof:




Bella was so happy I could swear she was smiling.

So during a trip out this evening, we gave in and bought $10 worth of dog toys.

Ten minutes after we got home, I had looked both puppies straight in the eyes and said, "This why we can't have nice things."

My two cuddly angels became ferocious beasts:



To be fair, they both absolutely loved those ten minutes. Bella essentially had the couch to herself, and soon both the couch and the floor were completely covered in cotton. She jumped happily from toy to toy, only halfway destroying each one. Tonks, however, was more methodical. She used her paws to pin a hedgehog to the floor and slowly rip it to shreds:



And this is why we can't have nice things.

Labels: