Thursday, April 21, 2011

6 Reasons Why Tonks Makes a Great Personal Trainer

If you are in the market for a personal trainer, you might consider my spunky Dachshund-Beagle mix Tonks.

1. If you're sitting on the couch and you so much as whisper the words "walk" or "run," this flips a switch in her brain. I do hope to get a video of Tonks' reaction, but for now, watch these dogs I don't know. Pretty much the same. Tonks' reaction is much akin to the dog that screeches.



Point: Even if you aren't excited about exercise, Tonks is. To the point of distraction.

2. Tonks has an unwarranted fear of using the bathroom anywhere but our backyard. I am almost certain she held it (all of it) for an entire day visit to Hyden. We joke that she cannot go to the bathroom in Appalachia, but the principle applies here, too. We don't have to carry plastic bags and she never has to make a pit stop.

Point: In a lot of ways, she just might be better than a person.

3. I call her my trainer because I've decided that I am not, and never will be, faster than her. She is a small Dachshund mix, and I can never manage to feel like I'm pulling her. I can sprint and it still feels like my small dog is dragging me along like dead weight. And she can't talk, so there's no jeering. (For instance, "Buck up, Mom.")

Point: It's just like a having a treadmill but cheaper.

4. She sweats just like I do. Sometimes she gets tangled in her leash so I lean down to help her get untangled and I swear she's got sweat under her arms. (Arms? Well, I guess not. Whatever you call dog's armpit. Pawpit?)

Point: I don't feel alone. And I feel like I've got one up on her since I can wear deodorant and she can't.

5. Because she is a mix of two breeds that are bred for hunting, she adds a surprise to every outing -- even in a subdivision. My left arm is noticeably stronger than my right because that's what I use to grip her leash. Tonks randomly but quite effectively catapults herself toward every rabbit, cat, dog, frog, bird or bug in her path.

Point: It's just like having a treadmill but with an added "Surprise Wildlife" function.

6. Also, she's really cute. Really, really cute. And she likes to snuggle when we get back.




Labels: