Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Basic Pizza Crust - An Experiment in Frugality

I'm a cheapskate, and I recently decided that the $0.49 I was paying for pizza crust mix at Save-a-Lot was outrageous. I figured if I could make a cheesecake by myself, I could make my own pizza crusts. And with ingredients that cost next to nothing in bulk, I figured I could do it for pennies.

And I did. I stole my crust recipe from this pizza recipe at Eat Better America.

I made one with white flour for my husband and one with whole wheat flour for myself, adding a pack of yeast to the wheat one per a suggestion in the recipe comments. The thing I liked most about this recipe was that it didn't require hours to rise or some complicated bread-making contraption. I am pretty sure a 10-year-old could make these crusts. And they only take about 15 minutes from start to finish.

The recipe:

1 1/3cups all-purpose flour
1teaspoon baking powder
1/2teaspoon salt
1/2cup skim milk
2tablespoons olive oil


Mix together dry ingredients; add milk and olive oil. Stir until dough forms. Knead 10 times on floured surface; let rise 10 minutes. Press out on 12-inch pan. Add desired toppings. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!

Labels: